Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Mantle Update - Fall 2014

When you enter our home, one of the first things you see is our fireplace.  We have a big, chunky white mantle, and I love updating it with the seasons to bring a fresh touch to a main focal point in our house.


As you can see from the before picture, our summer decor was looking pretty tired.  One of my favorite techniques for home decorating on a budget is "shopping your own house".  It's an awesome way to update your spaces, but sometimes (as was the case here), it can leave spaces looking a little picked over if you don't replace items you borrow with new ones.

Luckily, fall is officially here, so it was a perfect time to start thinking about new color palates and updated decorations.  As always, budget was a factor.  My goal was to complete the project for under $50, and I made it with cash to spare!


I am loving the warm tones for fall.  Doesn't it just look like you should grab that book and a cup of tea and relax?





Below is a breakdown of items, prices, stores, and a couple tips for completing your fall updates on a budget.

Wreath: JoAnn's - $20.  I was so excited to see this, and even more excited to see that it was 50% off!  If the in store promotion is over, you may be able to still score this wreath at a good price using one of their many coupons.

Chalkboard: Target - $24.99.  I bought this for redecorating my laundry room, but I hadn't hung it on the wall yet, so it was fair game for me to borrow for the mantle!  But, since it was brand new, I'm including the price here to keep things fair.

Clock: Pottery Barn - No new cost.  I borrowed that little cutie from my husband's home office.

Wine corks: Random bottles of wine - No new cost. 

Candle: Had it for a while, can't remember the source - No new cost.

Silver Tray: West Elm - No new cost.  I used it as a service plate for my daughter's birthday party, and just hadn't had a chance to put it away yet.

Picture Frame: Pottery Barn - No new cost.  Got it as a wedding present.  Don't you love gifts that you end up using forever?!  I did order a new print for the frame, so you can add a couple cents to the total if you're a stickler.

Lantern: Marshalls a few years ago - No new cost.  Bought it for a front porch makeover a while back.  With a good washing, it was all ready to use indoors.

Total cost: $44.99 and about 15 minutes of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment