Thursday, February 12, 2015

Fake It 'Til You Make It

If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen the cheery buds I picked up at my local farmer's market over the weekend.  They were lovely -- yellow daffodils with lavender tinted wheat.  But, the daffodils started to wilt, and the whole arrangement started looking pretty tired by today.  Instead of tossing the whole thing, I decided to add some Valentine color to make it more festive for our family party this weekend.



Here's my big secret: I added a fake flower.  After looking around my house a bit, I found a big, pretty fake peony in a box, and decided to add it to the arrangement.  I also had some gerbera daisies that were pretty old.  Two of the five were wilting, but the remaining three were in good shape, so I borrowed those to add more color.  Finally, I grabbed a small bundle of red tulips at the store ($3 for 5 stems) and used three of them to finish off the look.  I'm super happy with it, and with increased floral costs at Valentine's Day, I think this pretty little thing could sell for at least $30!

The Breakdown:

Greens: Part of the original arrangement, no new cost
Wheat: Part of the original arrangement, no new cost
Tulips: $1.80
Gerbera Daisies: From last week's flowers, no new cost
Peony: Already had, no new cost (sells at JoAnn for about $5).

Total New Cost: $1.80

No comments:

Post a Comment